[lbo-talk] Deconstructionism in contemporary leftish discourse

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jan 19 13:17:39 PST 2015

In the absence of actual political action, perhaps adopting or maligning positions is something that feels like action.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- The feminist (or "feminist") tendencies shag criticizes below make visible the destructive effect of grounding politics in moral categories. Ethical principles grounded in organized religion are not necessarily subject to this criticism, which is directed against attempts to ground politics on free-floating ethical claims. "Thou shalt not kill" as a divine command may very well avoid the blight of moralism; "thou shalt not kill" propounded as intrinsically valid is utterly destructive of political solidarity and therefore an objective defense not only of capitalism but of imperialist war. Also, in this connection, note the radical opposition of the terms "non-violence" and "non-violent civil disobedience." The latter term denotes a political strategy that may be politically debated. The former term is utterly apolitical, a corruption of politics by moralism.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Shag Carpet Bomb Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 11:49 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Deconstructionism in contemporary leftish discourse

Although, from my dealings with them - Amanda, Jessica Valenti, etc. - they don't have a clue what deconstruction is. In fact, they generally attacked anything related to theory -- where theory is *explanation* about why women are oppressed and how women's oppression relates to other forms of oppression. As an example, they consistently chalked up differences among feminists to personality differences (personal foibles, desire for personal aggrandizement or fame, jealousy) rather than trying to understand it as differences in their understandings of how the world works, what the enemy is, and how to fight it.

And while they disavow theory, they do have one: Liberal feminism. Perhaps the best example of which is described at this site: http://everydayfeminism.com/about-ef/our-vision/

I'd say this has very little to do with deconstruction. Deconstruction is a method of looking at a text to reveal how that text is produced by a set of binary oppositions - contradictions, paradoxes. The idea is to show how the text fails by it's _own_ criteria.

If these folks really believed in this approach, then _all_ texts - including their own - are subject to this operation. Deconstructionists are not surprised at contradiction, hypocrisy, a difference between stated ends and the means by which those ends are actually achieved. There is no outrage at contradiction. It is expected.

The stuff you see on the internet really isn't new. It's always been there. It's not more vicious or hurtful. Who cared in 2004 when a handful of feminist bloggers were trying to get others fired? Who cared when an attack on one blogger -- for her post about deconstructionism and feminism -- was so vicious - such a personal attack -- that she had a nervous breakdown?

The crazy blog wars of 10 years ago were the result of people sitting around in the secrecy of a private, invite-only email list and actually conspiring as to how to attack, at first, male bloggers and, later, how to attack other bloggers who criticized their work. It's a phenom that's just exacerbated by the tools of social media - amplified and faster where social media uses mechanisms of social control - the psychology of persuasion -- to get people to feel frenzied, addicted, depressed and lonely in the absence of tweets and status updates, waiting on the edge for the next notification.

Their real problem is that they all operate within a neoliberlist, individualist understanding of social change. In order to change the world, individuals must first have their minds changed and they must then change their behavior so that their behavior corresponds to the ideal they wish to achieve.

I had to laugh: a couple of weeks ago I stumbled over a forum where a handful of women of color bloggers were complaining about Tim Wise as a hustler, a man who hustles anti-racist sentiment to make his reputation scolding white people for their racism to an audience of other white people who "get off on" the action: watching someone else be disciplined for their racism.