[lbo-talk] Deconstructionism in contemporary leftish discourse

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 19 14:32:31 PST 2015

On Jan 19, 2015, at 12:48 PM, Shag Carpet Bomb <gracehinchcliff at gmail.com> wrote:

> Although, from my dealings with them - Amanda, Jessica Valenti, etc. - they
> don't have a clue what deconstruction is. In fact, they generally attacked
> anything related to theory -- where theory is *explanation* about why women
> are oppressed and how women's oppression relates to other forms of
> oppression. As an example, they consistently chalked up differences among
> feminists to personality differences (personal foibles, desire for personal
> aggrandizement or fame, jealousy) rather than trying to understand it as
> differences in their understandings of how the world works, what the enemy
> is, and how to fight it.

I've had a lot of exposure over the last couple of years to this sort of bourgeois feminism (which Lily Geismer, in her new book on Route 128 liberalism, traces to the posher suburbs in the 1970s - ambitious, all about individual choice, against discrimination but also anything redistributive). They are intensely hostile to bringing class into feminism - they adore Sheryl Sandberg. And they're all, as one of them said the other day, "on the road to TERFdom."

Doug