[lbo-talk] Washington State Democratic Party’s Central Committee passed a resolution opposing Common Core State Standards

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Jan 25 10:01:45 PST 2015

----- Original Message -----

https://seattleducation2010.wordpress.com/2015/01/25/the-washington-state-democratic-party-central-committee-passed-a-resolution-opposing-common-core-state-standards/

This is the first time a statewide Democratic Party committee has taken a public position against the Common Core and it happened in our great state. David Spring, a Parents Across America member and active in the Democratic Party in East King County and who was one of the education advocates who organized this effort, said:

This was a huge victory for the children, parents, and teachers of Washington State to have the Washington State Democratic Party – the first Democratic Party in the nation to vote against Common Core. It is our hope that this is the beginning of the end for Bill Gates in the Common Core scam. This was the grassroots – the rank and file of the Democratic Party – who said NO to Common Core. They deserve all the credit, along with you teacher activists.

The resolution as it was passed. Resolution Opposing Common Core State Standards WHEREAS the copyrighted (and therefore unchangeable) Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are a set of controversial top-down K-12 academic standards that were promulgated by wealthy private interests without research-based evidence of validity and are developmentally inappropriate in the lowest grades; and

WHEREAS, as a means of avoiding the U.S. Constitution’s 10th Amendment prohibition against federal meddling in state education policy, two unaccountable private trade associations–the National Governors Association (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO)–have received millions of dollars in funding from the Gates Foundation and others to create the CCSS; and

WHEREAS the U.S. Department of Education improperly pressured state legislatures into adopting the Common Core State Standards and high-stakes standardized testing based on them as a condition of competing for federal Race to the Top (RTTT) stimulus funds that should have been based on need; and

WHEREAS as a result of Washington State Senate Bill 6669, which passed the State legislature on March 11, 2010, the Office of the Superintendent of Instruction (OSPI) adopted Common Core State Standards (CCSS) on July 20, 2011; and WHEREAS this adoption effectively transfers control over public school standardized testing from locally elected school boards to the unaccountable corporate interests that control the CCSS and who stand to profit substantially; and

WHEREAS the Washington State Constitution also calls for public education to be controlled by the State of Washington through our elected State legislature, our elected State Superintendent of Public Instruction and our elected local school boards; and

WHEREAS implementation of CCSS will cost local school districts hundreds of millions of dollars to pay for standardized computer-based tests, new technology, new curricula and teacher training at a time when Washington is already insufficiently funding K-12 Basic Education without proven benefit to students; and WHEREAS some states have already withdrawn from CCSS;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that we call upon the Washington State legislature and the Superintendent of Public Instruction to withdraw from the CCSS and keep K-12 education student-centered and accountable to the people of Washington State. Submitted by Sarajane Siegfried, Resolutions Chair When the vote was taken, about two thirds of the delegates voted in favor of Resolution 707. Congratulations to all who made this happen! For information on how your party can make this happen, go to “How to get your State Democratic Party Committee to Oppose Common Core.”

Submitted by Dora Taylor

Posted by: Dora Taylor <edumom2012 at gmail.com>

• Reply to sender

• Reply to group

• Start a New Topic

• Messages in this topic (1) Visit Your Group

* New Members 2 • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

.