[lbo-talk] Trapped by its own success?

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 12:45:11 PDT 2015

On Jul 8, 2015, at 1:55 PM, JOANNA A. <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> That's weird he would think Tsripas anticipated a YES vote; that doesn't really make sense.

Syriza campaigned for Greece to reject the package but to remain in the eurozone. Many, including within Syriza and among its supporters such as myself, thought the voters, however much they hated the austerity package, would not risk a Grexit. For this reason, a slim majority for the Yes side was widely anticipated, and not only in the mainstream and financial media. I didn’t see much (any?) evidence on this list or others that the No was expected to win, and it’s not implausible that the Syriza leadership also thought a Yes victory a real possibility. Whether it called the referendum for the tactical reasons suggested in the report, I can’t say. But it obviously could not campaign for acceptance of demands it had rejected many times at the table. In any case, unexpected or not, this expression of great courage and dignity by a strong majority of the Greek people was tremendously encouraging and inspiring, and will hopefully spark urgently needed solidarity and resistance to the austerity agenda in the rest of Europe.