[lbo-talk] MEMO: Syriza-led government learns to "love Israel"

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 14:31:01 PDT 2015

"With the left-wing alliance seemingly unable to deliver on its central promise to roll back austerity, perhaps it should be no surprise to learn that it is also reneging on its anti-militarist foreign policy manifesto promises: the foreign minister visited Israel last week, making warm promises of friendship.

"The party's 2012 '40-point programme' called for the 'abolition of military cooperation with Israel' as part of a wider anti-militarist stance. But what a U-turn now.

"In a joint press conference in Jerusalem with the Israeli prime minister, Greek Foreign Minister Nikos Kotzias seemed determined to continue the path of the former conservative government, which from 2010 started the country on a new path towards joint military cooperation and training exercises with Israel, despite its regular massacres of the civilian population of Gaza.

"'We have to learn to love Israel,' gushed Kotzias, in a short statement last week, which seemed deliberately truncated in order to allow Netanyahu to dominate the press conference with his usual propaganda themes (mostly agitating against the deal to ease sanctions against Iran).

"Kotzias made clear (my emphasis): 'In recent years, we have developed bilateral relations, lately in all sectors: security, energy, tourism, economy. I was just discussing, yesterday, with your close adviser about economy. We talked today with your Minister for Energy. And I think that we have very good projects to do together, not only for our generation, but for the next generations, too.'

"Disgustingly, Kotzias even claimed that Israel is part of a 'line of stability in this area. We have a common interest in stability and security.' Tell that to the people of Gaza, who exactly one year ago were enduring the latest systematic Israeli flattening of the coastal strip, which would result in the deaths of more than 2,200 Palestinians, the vast majority civilians, including 551 children. Some 'stability.'"

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/articles/inquiry/19826-syriza-led-government-learns-to-qlove-israelq