[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] AP Exclusive: Palestinians quit medical study in Venezuela

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Jul 16 06:11:09 PDT 2015

A knowledgable observer writes:

"It's a Cuban program that teaches community-based preventative medicine and it's true that there are places where the diploma isn't recognized. But this is the diploma that most of the Cuban doctors deployed in Venezuela, Haiti, Brazil, etc. have, and it's the one that thousands of people from around the world - including from low income communities in the US - receive from the medical school in Havana. I guess one key question would be whether the PA recognizes it, or if the issue is that many of these Palestinian students are eager to get out of the occupied territories and are fearful that the diploma may not be recognized in neighboring Arab countries, or Europe, etc. But of course Dreier doesn't ask that question, she's just happy to report about an apparent fiasco."

Robert Naiman Policy Director Just Foreign Policy www.justforeignpolicy.org naiman at justforeignpolicy.org (202) 448-2898 x1