[lbo-talk] Krugman on the TPP: Why are we doing this?

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 11 09:49:53 PDT 2015

The answer is obvious. As Molly Ivins pointed out long ago, "You Got to Dance with Them What Brung You." Wall St. elected Obama, and he's doing their bidding.

Obama is working for the American 1%, who will profit inordinately from the TPP - which of course is not 'free-trade' but an investors' rights agreement, like Clinton's NAFTA; it will override government attempts to limit the depredations of corporations in regard to health, safety, workers' rights, etc.

Krugman downplays the notion "that TPP could add more than a fraction of one percent to the incomes of the nations involved.." But he ignores who will get that addition to income: the 1% and its allies. They're not stupid, just greedy: it's perfectly rational for them to destroy health, safety, workers' rights, etc., to insure a structural enhancement of their income.

"...alienating labor, disillusioning progressive activists" are child's play for Obama (and indeed any administration) in pursuit of their patrons' goals. It should occasion no surprise - just outrage.

--CGE