[lbo-talk] Better Than Raising the Minimum Wage

Eugene Coyle e.coyle at me.com
Thu May 21 22:19:29 PDT 2015

Here is something from WSJ.com that might interest you:

Better Than Raising the Minimum Wage http://on.wsj.com/1EmPumR

Perhaps you have noticed the ideas coming from the Right that are eagerly embraced by many on the Left.

As jobs disappear and perhaps will never reappear, the Right asks "How can we keep the party going if there are no jobs? Occupies and worse will spring up everywhere."

The Right answers "Let's cut taxes on the workers. That way they'll have more money and we won't have to give it to them."

Those on the Right, looking further into the dim -- and dimly lit -- future, say

"Let's create a Basic Income Guarantee (BIG) like Milton Friedman and Nixon spoke of, so some can drop out and more can work for little with the BIG covering their shortfall."

And here's Warren Buffett, right on cue, before he dies and leaves multi-billions to charity.

And here's the Left, or some of it, conceding that workers won't get a share of the GDP and settling for BIG and maybe part-time work behind the wheel of an Uber. And raising a few chickens in the yard.

Will another slice of the Left do else?

Gene

PS And, of course, Buffet's analysis of why some people, those talented folks, get rich, and others, hard working and decent as they are, do not, is, in one word, farcical. In two words, historically farcical.