[lbo-talk] Query

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 17:50:04 PDT 2015

> On 12 Oct 2015, at 8:42 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
> I have seen estimates of deaths in the Congo of 6 or 7 million, but the
> sources did not give precise dates for this. Can anyone provide more precise
> information.
>
> Carrol

"A series of landmark and peer-reviewed studies by the IRC and some of the world’s leading epidemiologists conclude that an estimated 5.4 million people died from conflict-related causes in Congo since 1998. The vast majority were not killed in combat. Most tragically died from malaria, diarrhea, pneumonia and malnutrition--easily preventable and treatable conditions when people have access to health care and nutritious food.”

From: http://www.rescue.org/special-reports/congo-forgotten-crisis <http://www.rescue.org/special-reports/congo-forgotten-crisis>

There are additional details at the link - mainly links to press releases and reports dating back to the year 2000, unfortunately not in a format that will be very friendly for you I think.