[lbo-talk] Anti-austerity Left in Portugal denied parliamentary prerogative to form a majority government

Andy andy274 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 15:03:14 PDT 2015

Anybody know about this? I think I got it from Gar.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11949701/AEP-Eurozone-crosses-Rubicon-as-Portugals-anti-euro-Left-banned-from-power.html

Portugal has entered dangerous political waters. For the first time since the creation of Europe’s monetary union, a member state has taken the explicit step of forbidding eurosceptic parties from taking office on the grounds of national interest.

Anibal Cavaco Silva, Portugal’s constitutional president, has refused to appoint a Left-wing coalition government even though it secured an absolute majority in the Portuguese parliament and won a mandate to smash the austerity regime bequeathed by the EU-IMF Troika.

• Indebted Portugal is still the problem child of the eurozone <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11786694/Indebted-Portugal-is-still-the-problem-child-of-the-eurozone.html>

He deemed it too risky to let the Left Bloc or the Communists come close to power, insisting that conservatives should soldier on as a minority in order to satisfy Brussels and appease foreign financial markets.

This is the worst moment for a radical change to the foundations of our democracy. President Cavaco Silva <http://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=This%20is%20the%20worst%20moment%20for%20a%20radical%20change%20to%20the%20foundations%20of%20our%20democracy.%20&url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11949701/AEP-Eurozone-crosses-Rubicon-as-Portugals-anti-euro-Left-banned-from-power.html?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_pq_tw_20150423> <http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11949701/AEP-Eurozone-crosses-Rubicon-as-Portugals-anti-euro-Left-banned-from-power.html?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_pq_fb_20150423>

Democracy must take second place to the higher imperative of euro rules and membership.

“In 40 years of democracy, no government in Portugal has ever depended on the support of anti-European forces, that is to say forces that campaigned to abrogate the Lisbon Treaty, the Fiscal Compact, the Growth and Stability Pact, as well as to dismantle monetary union and take Portugal out of the euro, in addition to wanting the dissolution of NATO,” said Mr Cavaco Silva. [....]

-- Andy "It's a testament to ketchup that there can be no confusion."