[lbo-talk] When Will Greece Get its Money back from Germany? Reflections on Yanis Varoufakis’ New Book

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 13:25:57 PDT 2016

On Apr 12, 2016 1:37 PM, "Christian Fuchs" <christian.fuchs at uti.at> wrote:

> Fuchs, Christian. 2016. When Will Greece Get its Money back from Germany?
Reflections on Yanis Varoufakis' New Book. tripleC: Communication, Capitalism & Critique 14 (1): 243-247.

> http://www.triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/article/view/758/816
>
> This article reviews Yanis Varoufakis’ (2016) new book “And the Weak
Suffer what They Must? Europe, Austerity and the Threat to Global Stability”? It argues that the question “When will the creditors get ‘their money’ back from Greece?” must be dialectically reversed: When will Greece get its money back from Germany? When will Germany pay its Nazi debts to Greece?

I'm going to suggest that in a time of increasing nationalism, xenophobia, and violence against migrants, a left strategy that founds itself on dredging up latent nationalist resentments is an especially terrible idea. Ditto for "historical guilt and moral responsibility."