[lbo-talk] Is the US or another economy "producing close to capacity"?

Eugene Coyle e.coyle at me.com
Sun Apr 24 12:11:22 PDT 2016

I saw this sentence

> As a result, most advanced economies are once again producing at close to capacity.

in a Project Syndicate essay today.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/case-against-monetary-helicopter-drops-by-michael-heise-2016-04?utm_source=Project+Syndicate+Newsletter&utm_campaign=33a87ada8d-Aslund_OP_4_24_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_73bad5b7d8-33a87ada8d-93681517

I have seen a version of it often in recent months. From esteemed economists.

It doesn’t seem to me to comport to reality. Can you name an industry in the US that is producing “close to capacity”? If you can, do you extrapolate that to most or all industries?

Related to my question is the acceptance espoused by esteemed economists that we are at full employment, at around 5.0%. Is the US close or at full employment?

Gene