[lbo-talk] The abrupt decline in living standards

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Aug 9 14:08:19 PDT 2016

Nobody reported "declining or stagnant real earnings" because nobody--not you, not me, not anybody--thinks of their earnings on terms of the index numbers (and that is what "real" signifies, an actual currency amount divided by an index number) invented by government agencies to estimate some current statistic in terms of some earlier or later one. And changes in current income cannot be used to indicate changes in living standards because such things as homes and gardens are enjoyed by being there, not by being purchased. And what is purchased camn be paid for in many other ways than out of current income.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire, kindling in measures and going out in measures.

Herakleitos of Ephesos