[lbo-talk] Query on Wealth

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Dec 9 13:21:28 PST 2016

In an old lbo post, Doug wrote: Seriously rich people tend to move assets into municipal bonds and other fixed-income investments; they own claims to revenue, not surplus value.

------

Can this be expanded on. And also --

As of several years ago, BlackRock Investment Management held or managed assets of over 4 trillion. Also a bit of miscellaneous bits. Over 400 employees at JPMorganChase are devoted solely to relations with BlackRock. BlackRock also has its representatives on the Boards of major corporations. (I believe its CEO might have become Sec. of the Treasury in a Clinton cabinet.)

I really have only the vaguest idea of "investment management," so all clarification is welcome. And my main question: How does the existence of such corporations relate to the statement quoted above. Who owns the corporations & how do the 1% "hold" their money?

Carrol