[lbo-talk] Fwd: Re: [Marxism] [UCE] Fwd: Not a Revolution — Yet | Jacobin

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Sun Dec 11 13:19:22 PST 2016

On Tue Nov 29 18:19:56 PST 2016 Carrol Cox wrote

And worst of all for now, neonationalism accompanies the fact that there's no left left, especially if you see as I do the Bernie phenomenon as hardly "the left" and nothing more than a wistful look back at reformist/capitalist FDR or at LBJ's poverty program, which won't happen again under any existing form of capital accumulation since production is going elsewhere - but which somehow in the minds of some is the "true" character of the Democratic Party.

======

It's automation rather than " production going elsewhere" that is primarily the cause of lost factory jobs.

The result is the same, of course, the steady global increase of the reserve army of labor.

Thanks, Carroll, I agree and should have noted in that conclusion as I did in the body of the note that automation is the cause, and moreover should have emphasized that it is the primary cause, and production going elsewhere is secondary. However, while automation certainly increases the reserve army of labor and divides labor, "production going elsewhere," the mobility of capital, by effectively blocking labor mobility and feeding into invidious other and anti-immigrant sentiment, is probably the most important way in which capital maintains and extends the division of labor and thereby prevents labor solidarity, without which barbarism.