[lbo-talk] Query on Wealth

Eugene Coyle e.coyle at me.com
Tue Dec 13 05:25:44 PST 2016

Whatever about the Marxist analysis, Carrol asked about how the 1% “hold” their money. Specifically, Carrol quoted Doug to the effect that “seriously rich people” tend to move assets into bonds and other fixed income investments.

I disagreed with Doug’s (then) position.

The current Theranos scandal, delightful to read about in the Wall Street Journal and the Guardian, is instructive. Theranos is a company which had a supposed breakthrough method of doing blood tests for multiple diseases and conditions with only a drop of blood. It looked to some investors like the next big thing. Seriously rich people jumped in with serious investments.

Rupert Murdoch, reportedly seriously rich, is reported to have invested $100 million in Theranos. Many other famous and reportedly seriously rich people did the same. And now Rupert Murdoch is reported to have lost his $100 million.

These investors were not looking for municipal bonds to deliver their spending money each quarter. They were still actively looking for stocks that were going to go up. They were getting into the stock while it was cheap, or at least so they thought.

The names involved are interesting. George Schultz and Henry Kissinger. Riley Bechtel and others, like General Mattis, soon to be Secretary of Defense.

Murdock didn’t have, I am guessing, $100 million in cash in a shoe box in one of his closets. Perhaps he sold some other shares. Likely he took out a loan for some of the scratch. Murdoch is a good proxy for how seriously rich people “hold” their money. They don’t settle into old age getting the interest on municipal bonds. They keep actively looking for ways to get richer, and borrow money to leverage the gains.

Here are some links to the story:

Go here for a summary:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/nov/29/rupert-murdoch-theranos-investment-wall-street-journal

Go here for the WSJ story putting this on the front pages. There is already a movie deal based on this. Fascinating account of the whistle blower and his grandfather, George Schultz.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/theranos-whistleblower-shook-the-companyand-his-family-1479335963

There are many other stories, from Bloomberg et. al.

Gene