[lbo-talk] Good Books on Lenin and His Policies

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 10 06:12:25 PST 2016

First of all, only an id iot would try to write an "objective" account of Lenin. Books by unashamed foes or worshppers would be much preferable. Any 'objective" account would be a tissue of boring lies.

Lars Lih on witbe would be a good place to start.

Stalin & Trotsky fucked up our vision of Lenin by treating him as a theorist. He was _not_ a theorist and it distorts his work to see him as such. When Lenin labelled Kautsky a "renegade" he meant Kautsky was a renegade to his (Kautsky's) own theory, and Lenin always regarded Kautsky as THE interpreter of Marx.

Lenin was a great revolutionary in the context of Czarist Russia.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Ambrose Andrews Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2016 10:33 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Good Books on Lenin and His Policies

"Leninism under Lenin" by Marcel Liebman is an interesting, well written and generally positive assessment.

Victor Serge's "Year One of the Russian Revolution" might be interesting, given Serge's anarchist leanings.

These might be too pro-Lenin for your liking, but they could form part of a picture, with the combination of first-hand reporting of the young revolution (Serge) and a more analytical retrospective overview of Lenin's actual practice in the context of the times (Liebman).

'Objectivity' might be a tough ask on the subject of Lenin...

-AA.