[lbo-talk] Counterpunch goes Jihadi

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 11 12:15:45 PST 2016

I have no doubts a bunch of pricks run Russia, China, BUT on the whole only the U.S. & the E.U. represent a serious threat to the survival of ordered human life -- and I happen to live in the U.S. For U.S. residents, opposition to all u.s. foreign policy, military activity, and any sort of military aid to anyone anywhere is a prerequisite for being "leftist."

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of David Green Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2016 8:45 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] Counterpunch goes Jihadi

The article in question by Mark Boothroyd is juxtaposed on Counterpunch with Mike Whitney's customary support of Putin/Assad. Whitney is a featured writer both on the website and in the monthly newsletter. http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/02/10/putins-aleppo-gamble-pays-off/. Counterpunch has predominately supported this tack, including by John Wight and others. This approach has been harshly and repeatedly criticized by Louis Proyect in his attacks on the "anti-imperialist left" on his blog. While Proyect was a weekly film critic on Counterpunch for quite a while after the death of Cockburn, he seems to be gone now, and I suspect the above debate would have something to do with that. Nevertheless, I find Whitney's triumphalism for Putin extremely problematic. Insights welcome. David Green ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk