[lbo-talk] guaranteed income question

Bill Bartlett william7 at aapt.net.au
Fri Feb 12 22:24:41 PST 2016

On 13/02/2016, at 3:53 PM, Joel Schlosberg <joelschlosberg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:45 PM, Bill Bartlett <william7 at aapt.net.au> wrote:
>
>> I would expect that full employment would actually create a greater
>> "attitude" problem than a guaranteed income
>

> Why? Isn't knowing that subsistence depends on employment exactly what
> causes workers to internalize a "good attitude" in the first place?

Workers tend to want more than mere subsistence, so security of employment/ease of getting another job, allows us the economic security to demand more. Maybe the economic security of a guaranteed income would have the same outcome, it wouldn't surprise me, but we know from past history that full employment creates not just a more militant workforce, but also a less productive workforce. We tend to slack off a bit (as well as be more militant) when we aren't too bothered by the threat of the sack.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas