[lbo-talk] Jayati Ghosh on the contradictory effects of tech change

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 08:32:49 PST 2016

> On Feb 13, 2016, at 10:40 PM, JOANNA A. <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I totally don't get how uber/airbnb gets rid of the middleman. They are the middleman.

I’d like to see fuller discussion on this point also. I can see where transaction costs are reduced by direct contact between buyer and seller, but the contact still has to be mediated to some degree by these new upstarts. Ghosh described these services as cutting out the middleman, and it seems to be generally accepted among economists, but I’ve yet to see this assumption developed in any detail.