[lbo-talk] Jayati Ghosh on the contradictory effects of tech change

JOANNA A. 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Feb 15 10:32:36 PST 2016

That's what I thought I was saying. It's not necessary to steal anything from Uber or airbnb. The programming would be fairly straightforward. I'll check with my nerd programming friends, but I'm pretty sure.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- Quite right. But uber and airbnb are not the "middleman." The "middlemen" are those computer-based algorithms. What are uber and airbnb but opportunists skimming off the rents presently enjoyed, thanks to cartelization laws, by owners of hotels and taxi fleets? The problem is "Intellectual Property" law, which would come down very hard on anyone who "hacked and open sourced" those algorithms. The libertarian communist response should be to *support* uber, airbnb, et.al., against the "legal" assault by those cartels. And at the same time demand the socialization (open sourcing) of all "intellectual property" (with a cut-off valuation of, say, one million dollars to protect the livelihood of authors, composers, performers, et. al.) including, of course, all "trade secrets" without any cutoff. Then the necessary services enabled through those algorithms could be provided by consumer/producer cooperatives, as many and as varied as socially needed, with no legal restrictions at all except for minimally necessary health, safety, and reliability standards!