[lbo-talk] Jayati Ghosh on the contradictory effects of tech change

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Feb 15 11:49:53 PST 2016

On Feb 15, 2016, at 2:10 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Shane Mage writes:
>
>> Capital never, ever, seeks to destroy government.
>
> Not the parts it likes. But the other parts?

Capital is not any one--or twenty--corporations (artificial persons). Government is needed for the benefit of the *whole* class, most of which, as human beings, need the same government services as the rest of us

> Tell me that Exxon loves the EPA.

Many--probably most--of the shareholders do.

> Tell me that the AMA loves the FDA.

The AMA is not a capitalist or a corporation. It is a trade association acting as a cartel. It absolutely requires "government" to restrict entry into the business and keep us from "self-medicating." When the AMA starts telling the FDA to treat marijuana like aspirin you might consider raising the question of who it likes, us or them...

> ...Tell me about private prisons...

I'll tell you about private prisons. they are part of the state, part of "Government." Even in the Spain of "Fidelio" Pizzaro's private prison could not exist without the sponsorship of "the best of kings."...

> , highways, parking meters, water systems, trash collection ... these are public services that are being eaten up by "government-loving folks" ...who love being part of it and raking off the dough they would otherwise be paying to their tame politicians et. al.

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"