[lbo-talk] Jayati Ghosh on the contradictory effects of tech change

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 16 08:47:01 PST 2016

Marv Gandall: "Wordplay, Shane. Corporations aren't persons (except in law), but there's a corporate culture of owners and manager who understand and defend the sole purpose for which corporations are formed."

I'm not sure here, never having thought much about the various relations embodied in the operations of a corporation. But I do believe Shane is correct: If we want to talk about "acting", "deciding," "liking," we have to talk about _peopled_. And in fact corporate officers can and often _do_ act against the "interests" of the "corporation" and its "owners." I think there was an interesting article in MR back in the '80s entitled something like "the revolt of the rentiers" -- i.e. "owners" revolting against "managers."

I'd like to see more debate on this. It may or may not be of core interest in relation to my concerns, that is "capitalist [i.e. organized anti-capitalist] politics.

Carrol