[lbo-talk] Bard on campaign

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Feb 24 17:37:19 PST 2016

The presidential campaign has now reached a point where Shakespeare has quite a bit to say about it, so off the top of my head I came up with some pertinent comments starting with the most obvious:

Donald Trumpe-l'oeil; "A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing" (Macbeth)

Hillary (née Rodham) Clinton; "a scurvy politician" (King Lear)

Dr. Jill Stein; "a pox on both your Houses" (Romeo and Juliet)

Bernie Sanders; "ambition should be made of sterner stuff" (Julius Caesar)

Marco Rubio: "A fool! A motley fool!" (As You Like It)

Ted Cruz; "stand up for bastards!" (King Lear)

John Kasich; "nothing can be made out of nothing" (King Lear)

Dr. Ben Carson; "honor is not a surgeon" (one of the Falstaff plays)

last, and by far least,

Lyndon (aka Lin Marcus) Larouche; "there are things in heaven and earth undreamt of in your philosophy" (Hamlet)

Shane Mage

"L'après-vie, c'est une auberge espagnole. L'on n'y trouve que ce qu'on a apporté."

Bardo Thodol