[lbo-talk] Why Green Capitalism Will Fail

Barry Brooks durable at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 8 07:58:52 PST 2016

Below is a excerpt and a link to Peter Dolack's essay.

His excellent essay mentions that the IPCC doesn't count various costs of our plunder, but the essay doesn't go on to explain that the costs in mind could not have been counted (measured by numbers). The IPPC's failure to count all costs provides another example of how numerical accounting is useless for such things. Such "accounting" obscures the biggest costs and makes doing the wrong things seem like our only choice.

The "costs" of making our Earth paradise into a parking lot will not be charged to those who paved it. The value of doing the right things is zero (or negative?) in the accounting of the biz supermen. Must greed drive the bus? Aggressive greed should not be making decisions for us, but we have no choice? (see Dylan on Gramsci below)

Barry

http://greensocialthought.org

Why Green Capitalism Will Fail by Pete Dolack

Green capitalism is destined to fail: You can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. We can't shop our way out of global warming nor are there technological magic wands that will save us. There is no alternative to a dramatic change in the organization of the global economy and consumption patterns.

Such a change will not come without costs, but the costs of doing nothing, of allowing global warming to proceed, is far greater. Therefore it is healthy to approach with a dose of skepticism the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report that concludes the annual reduction in consumption growth on a global basis would be only 0.06% during the course of the 21st century. Almost nothing! (...) http://greensocialthought.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/gst67-IFC-Dolack3.pdf

Also consider...

Dylan Harris – A Primer on Gramsci, Culture and Climate Change http://greensocialthought.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/gst68-8-10-Dylan-Harris.pdf