[lbo-talk] Angela Davis on Prisons & Police

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 23 09:54:42 PST 2016

It hadn't occurred to me before, but "militant" (or sounding "militant') isn't a very useful concept. It deflects from both program and intellectual precision or clarity. She of coursed made no references at all at how it would work - that would have been silly. I suppose if we made a city more or less ungovernable until it closed its jails and took the cops off the street they would work out something. Jails & cops are, after all, a rather recent phenomenon in human history.

That old demand for "how would you do it" simply kills both thought and action.

She did make it clear that prisons as we know them are unacceptable even for the really vicious.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Saturday, January 23, 2016 10:37 AM To: lbo-talk Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Angela Davis on Prisons & Police