[lbo-talk] Cold War Liberalism and Vietnam

Nick Manley chessanarch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 18:02:18 PST 2016

I've been reading a collection of speeches and whatnot on the Vietnam War as it relates to American foreign policy. I was especially struck by the speeches of Kennedy esque Cold War liberals. They give the impression of really believing American power was successfully remaking South Vietnam into some liberal democratic paradise. They even cite figures which if true show greater economic progress and whatnot in the South than the North. I am not saying I think they are true. I've no idea due to no sources provided.

So my question is: do people think these "best and brightest" types really thought American power was salvaging liberty in Vietnam and elsewhere? This book has me wonder about that.