[lbo-talk] [Pen-l] The Sanders campaign

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Jan 25 11:47:55 PST 2016

On Jan 25, 2016, at 1:55 PM, Albert Sonntag wrote:

> I shall vote and work for Sanders, but I think that the White House no longer has the power to direct the overall direction of foreign or domestic policies. Isn't this what the last eight years have shown us? Perhaps someone on this list can enlighten me on where power ultimately lies in the USA at the moment. Ultimate, "Federal," power. I have heard a lot of references to the "deep State". Is this the same as C. Wright Mills' 'Power Elite'?

The "Deep State" is not something visible to the Sociological Imagination. It is a group of men commanding an extra-legal armed group within the "honorable" institutions of government whose function is to impose the discipline of a mafia (especially omerta) over those political figures who might be tempted to believe that their official positions or popular support give them more than the illusion of some power. It is like an iceberg, almost all of it deep below the surface. Visible at the top are figures like A. Mitchell Palmer, J. Edgar Hoover, Allen Dulles, George H. W. Bush, William Casey. Its power is wielded by assassination (think Huey Long, Carlo Tresca, Malcolm X, J.F. Kennedy, M.L. King, Robert Kennedy, George Wallace, Hale Boggs, Paul Wellstone) blackmail (think Elliot Spitzer, John Edwards,) and the threat of both (Ted Kennedy, Barack Obama). It is the REALITY of capitalist democracy.

Shane Mage

"scientific discovery is basically recognition of obvious realities that self-interest or ideology have kept everybody from paying attention to"