[lbo-talk] Follow Up to Cold War Liberalism and Vietnam

Nick Manley chessanarch at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 12:43:19 PST 2016

Thanks to Doug and others for their responses to my first post!

Anyway,

I was also strucky by the political programme of the NLF in this book. I don't know how much they actually implemented it in North Vietnam or when the country was unified again, but it's very liberal and democratic sounding. Not at all the communist tyranny bogeyman the American government was talking about. Does anyone know if post-war governance or wartime governance in North Vietnam was particularly liberal or democratic? I would not want to fall prey to Cold War propaganda about "communist tyranny". I don't identify as one, but I like to be fair and accurate.