[lbo-talk] Memorial Day

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Jun 3 09:23:41 PDT 2016

The late Christopher Hitchens (sad case) quoted a far better historian than himself on the point:

"[Perry Anderson's] undergirding assumption [is] that American imperialism remains, if I may so condense it, the primary enemy ... A few years ago, when we jointly addressed a gathering in New York, he startled me by announcing that he thought the Confederacy should have been allowed to secede. His reasoning was elegant enough — slavery was historically doomed in any case; two semi-continental states would have been more natural; American expansionism would have been checked; Lincoln was a bloodthirsty Bismarckian étatiste and megalomaniac…”

But I agree with you on poppy sales and Grant’s memoirs. —CGE