[lbo-talk] The Greatest Radio Program of the 20th-c

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jun 4 16:27:25 PDT 2016

I have never seen a boxing match, & never listened to a radio report after the Louis-Conn fight of 1945?6? But very luckily I did turn on the readio for the 1964 Ali-Liston fight. And thus I was privileged to listen to the greatest 5 minutes in radio history.

It was in Ali's dressing room after the fight: he was being besieged by a battery of questions from reproters.

Question he refused to respond to until he had forced them all, in unison to chant repeatedly: You are the Greatest!

There are no more arrogant persons on earth than sports reporters. What glory to hear them humiliated by Ali! Nothing in radio history matches that moment.

Carrol