[lbo-talk] Friedman's ghost

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jun 26 15:47:07 PDT 2016

Marv: "The neoliberal economic and political architects of the European Union and eurozone should have heeded the warnings of their neoliberal guru, Milton Friedman, especially about the contradictions of the currency union."

Capitalist architects (which is not how they label themselves) are simply busy, within the framework of their own spontaneous premises, in maintaining current "business relations." (Only Marxists regard those relations as Capitalist Relations of Production.) And they have been quite successful up to now. At least (quoting myself from Pen-L) I do not know of any billionaires reduced to begging on the streets. So far there are no challenges to capitalism as capitalism of sufficient seriousness to trigger conscious defense of capitalism from its intellectuals and politicians; what we call "capitalism" they think of as merely the nature of things.

Carrol