[lbo-talk] In defense of political correctness

Charles Brown cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 04:18:16 PDT 2016

Political Correctness - Good Intentions

"Personally, I have never liked the proverb - "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".

Good intentions are their own justification. Political correctness has good intentions; it sometimes fails in execution.

Change is clumsy. Change is uncomfortable. Change causes animosity. Change requires consistent practice. Yet, change is one of the few constants life offers.

Society is changing, it wants to be better, more inclusive, less marginalizing. Donald Trump's appeals to regressive old attitudes about race and language decency is alarming; his rise to the presumed Republican nomination for President of The United States is evidence that not only should political correctness matter, but it is critical for America to mature psychologically and emotionally. Trump's overtly bigoted pandering to the juvenile, fearful, narrow-minded bigots, manipulating their fears with incorrigible racism and misogyny is validating for a specific group of people that want their reactionary views legitimized. Political correctness, even in its annoying, bumbling awkward and bitterly contentious application, political correctness is a necessary shift for public language. In a culture where perception matters, like here in the United States, making the effort to change the language is critical to our maturity as a society.

Language and the tone we inhabit in our social discourse is critically important. Language that is inclusive, respectful. Words and terms that don't diminish, demean or depreciate ones social status. Language can marginalize groups, language can also help restore the previously socially marginalized. Political correctness is why 'retarded' is now 'learning disabled'. 'Retarded' had become a pejorative in American culture, a school yard bully term used to demean. Political correctness is why there are no more actresses, women are simply actors, no more comediennes, only comedians, no more songstresses, only singers or vocalists.

Political correctness can also be absurd. 'Thought shower' was coined as a politically correct term for 'brainstorm'. Brain storm was thought to be insensitive to those with epileptic disorder. 'Differently abled' was concocted to be politically correct for handicapped.

The major motivation of political correctness is amending language and tone around race and gender, hoping society evolves to a more equitable relationship with each other."

Full at:

http://hubpages.com/politics/Whats-Wrong-With-Political-Correctness Sent from my iPhone