[lbo-talk] Oreos & Neoliberalism (Some Chat)

Shag Carpet Bomb gracehinchcliff at gmail.com
Fri May 6 16:17:46 PDT 2016

And, btw, yes, you are correct. I'm one of those people who shops the perimeter of the store having ditched packaged foods almost 20 years ago, so I tend not to eat the processed foods. But those processed foods are where _science_ is ever at play. Because this is all about formulas balancing salt, sugar, fat - initially to make things addictive -- it is also put in the service of making things cost less to produce.

Where I've read up on this: _Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us_ Bee Wilson's _Swindled: The Dark History of Food Fraud, from Poisoned Candy to Counterfeit Coffee_ Susan Friedman's _Fresh: A Perishable History_

I started reading those after reading the silly simplistic crap pumped out by Michael Pollan. Two of those books expose our bad the food our grandmother's ate was. LOL

btw2, A REALLY great book about the way the "food science" and "healthy food" has been used, historically and currently, to provide the middle class with a way to distinguish themselves as middle class is Charlotte Biltekoff's _Eating Right In America: The Cultural politics of food and health_ https://www.dukeupress.edu/Eating-Right-in-America/

Anyway, because I don't shop for packaged foods much, I probably find it shockingly more noticeable when I do buy it.

One place where you see this happen is with 'fads'. Low fat food fads were widely embraced and pushed on us, to our ill health, because it cheaper to shove tons of process grain into something and fluff it with air. Voila: snackwells. People were told they were good for them, would help them lose weight. Instead, the stuff spikes blood sugar and, just because it's fat free, didn't mean you could eat all you wanted. But people were told that they could do just that. So they did: downed boxes of "diet" cookies because: no fat. Jane Brody said you could in the pages of the New York Times.

Low fat mayonnaise and butter? its whipped full of air. Same with low calorie ice cream. It's whipped up with air and thickeners like carrageenan and tapioca.

At my job, these skinny ass bastards I work with love eating chocolate. Bastards. They keep a big bowl of it which the 7 of them empty daily. I want to contribute so I run out and buy some candy. Whereupon I see the new fad is candy that is basically a bunch of crush nuts and rice grains, whipped up with air and puffed up, with chocolate and caramel drizzled over the top. So, you think you are buying a snickers or M*Ms or whatever. it's air puffed crushed nuts!

Maybe I'll go grocery shopping this weekend and take notes because I know I've seen more of this stuff but I've forgotten.