[lbo-talk] 5/21 (NYC): “The Vanguardist/Spontaneist Binary & the Marxist-Humanist Alternative”

seth weiss_seth at hotmail.com
Tue May 17 21:25:29 PDT 2016

Left Forum panels, New Videos and Articles

View email in your browser.

May 14, 2016

Hello friend,

Are you coming to Left Forum in NYC on May 20-22? We hope you will attend our panel:

Saturday at 10:00 a.m. in Room 1.107

“The Vanguardist/Spontaneist Binary and the Marxist-Humanist Alternative”

We will explore what the traditional concepts of vanguardist and spontaneist mean for leftists and activists today, in what way Marxist-Humanism is distinguishable from both, and whether it can offer an entirely different basis for revolutionary activity than the two choices we have inherited from the past.

Speakers: Andrew Kliman, economist, author; Anne Jaclard, MHI, journalist; Mike Dola, worker-student-activist; Ravi Bali, housing activist (by Skype from London).

(Note: This is Session 1 of the conference panels, so you need to register either on Fri. or early on Sat. morning to be sure you can get to the panel on time.)

We also recommend the following panels on Sunday, May 22:

Sunday at 10:00 a.m. in Room 1.121 (Session 5)

“Human Rights Industry and Commodification of Public Spheres in Iran”

Speakers: Soheil Asefi, student, journalist and former political prisoner; Arash Kia, scientist and left Iranian activist; Andrew Kliman, author of Reclaiming Marx’s Capital

Sunday at 12 noon in Room 1.109 (Session 6)

“Overcoming Capitalism”

Sponsor: Zero Books

Speakers: Terry Tapp, author of A Serf's Journal; Anne Jaclard, radical journalist; Andrew Kliman, author of The Failure of Capitalist Production; Pete Dolack, author of It's Not Over; Douglas Lain, publisher of Zero Books.

Note: MHI will not have an exhibit table this year. Don’t confuse others with us. If you wish to meet us, come to one of these panels or email us before the conference to arrange meeting.

Much is new in our web journal, With Sober Senses, including

Videos of two meetings in London:

“Do We Need Marx’s Humanism Today? (a debate between MHI and former RCP leaders)

“Theory, Activism and the Grassroots Housing Movement” (MHI and Radical Housing Network)

Documentary film now on line: “Raya Dunayevskaya: Biography of an Idea”

Articles from the UK on Brexit and “The Significance of Sadiq Khan’s Election as London’s Mayor”

Video of Madrid debate on economic crisis: “Steve Keen vs. Steve Keen (and Andrew Kliman)”

Please add your comments and send us your articles.

--MHI

For a description of this pamphlet

by Andrew Kliman, see video.

Available for purchase at Bluestockings

Books or order from MHI here.

Click image for trailer & information on showing this documentary film.

Marxist-Humanist Initiative

P.O. Box 414

Planetarium Station

New York, NY 10024

email: mhi at marxisthumanistinitiative.org

web: www.marxisthumanistinitiative.org

(888) 579-2245

This email was sent to weiss_seth at hotmail.com

why did I get this? unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

Marxist-Humanist Initiative · P.O. Box 414 · Planetarium Station · New York, NY 10024 · USA