[lbo-talk] The Bruenig Firing: 'Civility' As A Tool To Control Dissent

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 25 06:10:25 PDT 2016

Michael Brennan:

This is what bothers me about those who say we need a new "Left" party or a new "Progressive" party. There is no Left. . . .

. . . .We don't need a "Progressive" party. We need a workers' party.

-----

I would agree -- but how we are to create such a party remains obscure. In the 1920s the CP emerged from the left of the IWW & SP, thus from the beginning having cadre in industry for the great union drives of the 1930s. No such cadre now exists -- and it remains unclear how a "workers party" can emerge without a base in militant unions.

Carrol