[lbo-talk] "Why I no longer hate Trans Exclusionary Feminists (TERFs')"

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 15:12:32 PDT 2016

> On May 26, 2016, at 2:38 PM, William Dobbs <duchamp at mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> "Inconsequential" until you need a bathroom. I hope this toxic thread ends
> very soon.
>
> On Behalf Of Michael Smith
> Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2016 5:32 PM
>
> On 5/26/16 11:49 AM, Charles Brown wrote:
>> It's a main debate on the left today.
>
> If that were true -- and if there were a Left in the US for it to be true of
> -- then that would be a strong case for despair. It's difficult to imagine a
> more inconsequential topic.

The thread has been toxic but, that aside, Michael does have a point.

Bathroom access and safety is important but relatively inconsequential in relation to more pressing issues faced by transgender and other workers:

To identify the ones which come quickly to mind, unemployment and underemployment, stagnating incomes, indebtedness, affordable housing and homelessness, access to quality education and healthcare for the working class generally, and for specific sectors within it, deportation of undocumented workers, racist police violence, and rollback of abortion rights.