[lbo-talk] Query

Adelson Velsky Landis adelson.velsky.landis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 21:26:58 PDT 2016

NYC DAN was formed in the wake of the Seattle WTO protests in 1999. It was focused on organizing against the WTO, the IMF, the World Bank etc. 9/11 kind of helped along its dissolution, as people began leaving for organizations focused on anti-war organizing, like groups working with UFPJ. The 2002 NYC anti-WEF protests were kind of the last hurrah of NYC DAN.

I'm browsing Graeber's book that was posted in this thread and have to chuckle at some of it:

"The Independent Media Center...was...dependent on...a hacker magazine who had previously been using it as a hacker space...[IMC was] spending about a third of each meeting on funding issues" (p. 271-272)

I wish the hacker space preceding the IMC only had to spend one third of our meetings on funding issues!

-- Adelson