[lbo-talk] Big business takes distance from Trump immigration policy

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 08:50:25 PST 2017

> On Jan 31, 2017, at 7:48 AM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
> Marv : Unlike Trump’s base in the petty bourgeoisie and declining sectors of the working class, the dominant multinational corporations require the free flow of labour, capital, goods and services.
>
> =====
>
> A query. How do you define/describe the petty bourgeoisie?

Small merchants, manufacturers, farmers, and other urban and rural propertyholders in local markets whose income derives mainly from profits, rent, and interest. Theis distinguishes them from wage- or salary-earners who sell their labour power to others.

> How large is that element of the population?

I’d have to do a google search, but there are many small businesses in the US and self-employed individuals, so-called “independent contractors”

> And just for the hell of it, another query: How politically important (now or potentially) are those over 65?

The conventional wisdom is they vote in disproportionately larger numbers but are conservative. I’m wary of such generalizations since all generations are divided by class, race, gender, region snd other factors as well as changing circumstances which affects their political behaviour.