[lbo-talk] Petty Bourgeois (was "Big Business Takes Distance... ")

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Jan 31 13:07:47 PST 2017

James Creegan writes:

> The above groups conform to the classical definition, i.e. small
> property owners. I would also include doctors and lawyers in
> private practice. Perhaps more controversially, I would include
> people like professors, journalists and skilled workers at the
> high end of IT.

Yeah, "intellectual property" is still property.

Doug elides (and I don't think you mean to) these with managers, and I don't. Managers are just like cops: street-level enforcers of the boss' will. I think you mean to say that if you've learned something that's portable and hasn't yet been commodified (liek the lower end of IT). Maybe with the demise of the tenure system it's not as true for professors anymore ...

/jordan