[lbo-talk] Petty Bourgeois (was "Big Business Takes Distance... ")

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:38:52 PST 2017

I think on this Doug's got the better of it.

And especially when it comes to the uses that the "little bourgeois" and the small town *little ruling classes* are put in extreme nationalist movements. I know I just relabeled these groups, but in fact that is what we are talking about.

And among the petty-bourgeoisie I would also include those who are barely holding on at one end and those who are the "big" owners in smaller towns... owners of the big car dealerships and real estate owners in business districts, etc.

They are not outside of capitalist social relations but are in a sense the out-dated appendages of a smaller less urban capitalism.

Also the fact that the managerial classes are often built from this petty-bourgeois remnant is just part of an historical development that is partially a matter of variance in a probabilistic system. The children of the successful small town grandee goes to the best college and winds up, at least for a time, one of the salary men in management.

Also we have to take into a account that a lot of the jobs we call management (now days) are not really management jobs at all but creeping categories. These people would have been called "foremen" or "leads" in the past. They usually make only a little more than workers who are not called management. Because only because of absurd labor law categories they are excluded from unions. We should not exclude them from the working class because of ruling class legal definitions.

The managers who are members of the petty bourgeoisie are the "in-between" "salary men" (women too, so forgive the old fashion designation.) Those who don't make the policies decisions but contribute to them. Those who have no chance of owning a substantial amount of capital but may gain enough stock for retirement; etc.