[lbo-talk] Big business takes distance from Trump immigration policy

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:48:25 PST 2017

"For the record, I strongly disagree with Marv's suggestion that "independent contractors" are necessarily small capitalists. "

I agree with this: I think the idea of the "independent contractor" is also an absurd artifact of U.S. labor law.

We must distinguish between a worker who may owns her own tools and a person who actually owns the means of production.

In the early days of over the road trucking organizing the Minneapolis Teamsters (Trotskyists mostly) decided to treat "independent" truckers, truckers who owned their own trucks in the manner of machinists who owned their own tools. This is the way NYC taxi drivers should be treated, no matter what their individual consciousness, and no matter what the legalities of the situation happen to be. The same for Uber drivers for that matter. They are workers who own their tools, and not "independent contractors" who own the means of production.

This reasoning should be tested in all situations. A taxi driver who drives his own car but also owns five others is a "little capitalist" for instance.