[lbo-talk] [pen-l] China aims at electric car domination

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 09:00:09 PDT 2017

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 7:57 AM, Michael Meeropol <mameerop at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe because lots of members of the elite or their families have a stake in power plants --- retrofitting auto-factories does not cut profits in that industry ---
>
> It would be great if they could get out of coal and move to sustainable electricity generation (though there is a problem with the location of the sustainable electric generation facilities and the population centers) — I just wonder about vested interests ....

Coal producers in China are largely publicly-owned SOE’s. While profit-seeking enterprises, they’re still outside of the private sector.

If the elites in government or industry have a vested interest in slowing the movement away from coal, they haven’t demonstrated it. Their interests lie in stemming air pollution, which has become a major public issue, and becoming the leading producer and exporter of the new energy technologies. The turn to wind solar is not a new development, and while coal is still the main source of energy, it’s share of consumption has been steadily falling.