[lbo-talk] Varoufakis' new memoir

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 07:47:17 PST 2018

Thanks to Michael Yates for alerting me to Eric Toussaint’s more detailed and devastating review of Varoufakis’ memoir.

If Tooze’s review is “worth reading”, Toussaint’s critique is absolutely indispensible to an understanding of the debacle and Varoufakis’ contribution to it, including his surprising (to me at least) close ties to the conservative Greek political and economic establishment.

The six part review is a thorough refutation of the line held by some on the Marxist left at the time that Syriza had no alternative but to bow to the troika and accept continued harsh austerity. Toussaint, who on behalf of the Committee for the Abolition of Illegitimate Debt was an active participant in the process, shows otherwise.

I don’t think MR Online has the entirety of Toussaint’s lengthy account but you can read it on the Committee’s site, beginning here:

http://www.cadtm.org/Yanis-Varoufakis-s-Account-of-the

Part six has just been published here:

http://www.cadtm.org/Varoufakis-Tsipras-move-towards