[lbo-talk] Advice on crits of the 4th Industrial Revo?

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Sun Apr 29 07:46:04 PDT 2018

Hi dear allies,

What are the most interesting progressive (not Luddite) critiques of the 4th Industrial Revolution, especially robotics, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity systems like blockchain and the like?

The Brazil-Russia-India-China-SA bloc meets here in Johannesburg in late July. Our local BRICS elites engage in virtually unregulated high-tech acts of surveillance, censorship and repression. Now, "4IR" babble is being promoted heavily here now.

I gather 4IR could destroy half the world's current employment in some sectors such as finance. A leading South African practitioner, Elon Musk, warns that AI could wreck humanity within the coming few decades.

As you see below, African dissemination of 4IR appears to be a very high priority for the BRICS' so-called 'Sherpas' (a term we would want to banish from such abusive deployment, out of respect for the Nepalese people's desires).

It is also a major project of BRICS Business Council chair Iqbal Survé, who has been relentlessly pushing 4IR rhetoric in his Independent group newspaper chain, in part through a proposed $4 billion "Sagarmatha" listing on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.

Investigative journalists the illicit relations between Survé and the $150 billion Public Investment Corporation (SA bureaucrats' pensions) and prevented the deal from happening, but it is likely Survé will seek more capital to move his personal for-profit 4IR agenda forward, at the same time he and other BRICS elites try to confuse society with pro-4IR rhetoric.

What should we be saying about all this? A brics-from-below summit will be announced this week. Critical info will be vital, thanks comrades.

Patrick