war in puerto rico

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 2 16:28:06 PDT 1998

>Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 17:07:20 -0400
>To: lbo-talks at lists.panix.com
>From: pms <laflame at mindspring.com>
>Subject: war in puerto rico
>
>by the way, has anyone noticed the latest cosmic coincidence in the
carribean? just as the status of PR is to be voted on, just as masses of people hit the streets to protest the privitazation of the (very profitable) phone system, the US has discovered that PR is the new gateway for drugs coming here and surprise! calling out the troops.
>the last story was of course the only one of the three to filter through
to me from the media lite stream.

>message for Lou P.-just e-mailed you pleading for computor advice on a tip
from carol but seem to have the wrong address? understand if your busy. pms

>on SS-we need a big turn around in the terms of debate, very basic
like-people with power will always find a way to rob you blind, so the american people, like the europeans should insist that the basic needs of the society are meant, off the top, then the big cigars can fight over the rest. the left needs to repeat simple ideas repeatedly, like the right. one thing you've got to admire about the right, they were immune to embarassment. years ago, when a lot of ideas of theirs were considered nutty, they kept repeating them anyway.
>of course it didn't hurt that a rush limbaugh could go from making fun of
the president's daughter to a guest spot on Face the Nation. remembering that sunday morning still gives me a chill.
>how can we enter the consciousness of folks who do not now and never will
care who alan greenspan is. who just feel like they're getting screwed. the one line about hmo's in "as good as it gets" was probably more effective than well i just don't know what, in advancing the cause of national hc. is there a way to combat the american tendency to be willing to slit your own throat rather than see someone you've been taught to disapprove of get something.
>recently i read a proposal in Z mag about an alliance of left pubs to
create an electronic publishing presence. i'd like to see this expanded to somehow create an expanded media presence. and while were at it-how about a big health plan buying pool of the progressive un + under-insured. this sounds great to me until i think back to the actual times i was exposed to left orgs.