Slavoj sez...

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 4 14:40:03 PDT 1998

The foreigner whose status is never properly
>"regulated" is the indivisible remainder of the transformation of
>democratic political struggle into the postpolitical procedure of
>negotiation and multiculturalist policing.

Has anyone read much Edmund Jabes? He's a poet, exiled from Egypt during the Suez Canal crisis ('56? '58?). He constructs the figure of the "jew" in much the same register as "the foreigner" here: "the indivisible remainder"; the exile. Rats I wish I had him in hand right now.

It's been awhile since I've read him, but he sure left an impression. _The Book of Questions_ is highly relevant here.

-Alec