Linux/open software (was Bill Gates writes...)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Aug 7 12:14:12 PDT 1998

Les,

Thanks for your note.

> . . .
> >> The migration of important institutions (e.g., the labor movement)
would contribute to a critical mass of users which could cause significant leaps in the development of Linux-world software.>>

>do you mean here just the sheer number of additional users would cause
significant development, or that the labor movement would have specific software needs that would lead to further development? >

Both, but mostly the first. I don't know what sort of specialized in-house software is used by labor organizations.

I've already found web sites on Linux. Haven't looked at the newsgroups yet. I imagine that's where all the heavy- duty advice is purveyed. The press of my 'regular' work has given me an excuse to avoid serious play, so I'm not quite ready to take the plunge in installing Linux. Probably in September.

Cheers,

Max