Fw: Need info on Bell Atlantic

MScoleman at aol.com MScoleman at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 02:37:36 PDT 1998

<< Right now we urgently need information on Bell Atlantic. As you

>already know, our government announced the PRTC's sale to GTE. But now

>GTE itself has been bought by Bell Atlantic. Anti-privatisation

>activists over here are desperate for information on this company.

>Any info will be appreciated.

I work for Bell Atlantic, so this is more of an insider's view:

1. They are an intensely anti-union corporation with a long history of negotiating contracts and breaking them. For instance, when they bought NYNEX mobile a few years ago, they negotiated and signed a contract but never honored it until the union brought the issue to the supreme court.

2. In order to buy NYNEX proper (as opposed to NYNEX mobile which was a separate purchase), Bell Atlantic promised the FCC in Washington and the Public Service Commissions in several states (Including New York) that they would honor the contracts in place with both the CWA and IBEW. Part of those contracts was an early out clause adding 6 years on everyone's age and service. All Employees were supposed to have been offered this early retirement prior to August 8, 1998. Bell Atlantic finalized the take over of NYNEX September, 1997 (this was NEVER a merger). November of 1997, they publically announced that they had no intention of every honoring the negotiated clauses of NYNEX/CWA/IBEW contracts allowing early retirements. This Saturday at midnight, the contract is up, and there is still no offer.

3. Six months ago, Bell Atlantic began negotiating an two year extension of the CWA/IBEW contracts which expire August 8, 1998. Six weeks ago, after negotiating a complete agreement with the unions, Bell Atlantic refused to sign the agreement. Instead, negotiations began on a new three year contract. Ten days ago, Bell Atlantic came to the table with seven changes they want made in the health benefits delivery system and they want to increase the clause allowing contracting/outsourcing of work from 10% to 50%. At the same time, they want to create a two tiered wage system for junior employees -- allowing the higher wages to end as current employees retire.

Well, I personally think that Bell Atlantic doesn't care how much business they lose due to a strike -- I think their intention is to dramatically increase the non-union portion of the business. There is a slim chance that the contract will be signed by this Saturday at midnight -- but only a slim chance. Personally, I think we will walk, and since I am assiged to start the Sunday shift at midnight Saturday (remember, midnight 01 Saturday is actually Sunday morning), it looks like I might be one of the first ones out there with my picket sign.....my chief steward is meeting me in front of the building -- anyone else care to come along?

maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com