loose ends

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 8 00:40:50 PDT 1998

greetings- thanks Louis-i love history but i only have time for the "the good parts" so it's nice being presented with a clear picture. as far as the differing interpretations i'm sure there's truth to all of them and not.

carol-i think i know what you mean. like if you ran into a martian guy in the pizza hut parking lot and you wanted to turn him onto the essential power and texture of frank zappa's music but you sent him back to mars with "lumpy gravy"?

i think one way to start a pinko rehab would be to call for tibute, apology, heh, compensation for what was done to people in the name of anti-communism. history has been wiped clean. political involements that greatly influenced authors and artists are mentioned in casual passing if at all. face it the right owns that little acre of conssciousness. they also owm social security, at least much more than should ever have been allowed to happen. i talk a lot, to all kinds of people who rarely talk politics and some who do, no leftists, and for at least a couple of years the general wisdom is that they will not get social security. also almost everyone thinks unions are bad or they have to much power. these are people who don't have a clue but a general impression has been planted. the right does this with issue after issue. the official right , like the official left have to speak the politese if they want to have carreers, but the right finances the fringe, the people who get the peoples attention. of course it doesn't hurt that they own the media.

thanks for info alec. like healthcare news of all sorts, though watching the way the debate is defined is disheartening. every one on the street is upset with health care and were talking tinkering. it's bad for insurance companys to run the health care system.that's the man point. a lot of people don't have disability insurance. their lives are wrecked if they have a major illness even with health insurance. WHY DON'T THE AMERICAN PEOPLE KNOW THAT LIVENG EXPENSES DURING RECOVERY ARE PART OF HEALTH PLANS in other countries?

charles could it be that overproduction in ficticious capital sector in one place leads to overproduction of real assets in another place?

i'd like to comment on savings among people not in 401ks. i have really been talking to a lot of people about that and i have been stunned not only by the lack of basic knowledge but the middle class status of equally clueless people. i was closing my account at the dastardly nationbank and the woman i was talking to was asking me all kinds of questions about mutual funds and DRIPS. i told her to get consumer reports.absolutely no one i speak to knows you can buy stuff with very little money. a guy who eats lunch with me owns a small company, has an account a schwab, clueless about what an ira is. this is so prevasive i've been wondering if it's legal for me, a waitress, to offer very basic money management workshops for people who really need the basics and don't represent enough do-ray-me, for anyone to be marketing to. the one thing that scares me about trying to do something like that is dealing with the incredible amount of debt most everyone that could, has accumulated. it's a mess.

SOCIAL SECURITY

IS THIS ONE NATION OR ISN'T IT? my remedy for ss. don't raise cap, eliminate it and perhaps lower the taxes of the people who make life convenient.

you know i think there are no white people working in the service sector in atlanta any more. grocery stores, banks, home depot. when i see this happen i assume that industry has moved to a lesser pay scale. it's wierd, when i moved here from south florida in 74 i thought it was so cool cause black people worked everywhere and i hadn't seen that before. then i lived down there for a year in 95 and only blacks worked service, tellers, nurses, store clerks, and suddenly it' like that here. this does not seem to imply a good thing.

doug-profit originates in uncompensated labor, of course it does, i've felt that for a long time though i don't think i've ever read it. still-considering reality we probably shouldn't start with that. masses-consciousness-wise i mean.

hey, if you guys get linus whatever will i still be able to hear you?

tu chang he- sounds interesting, cant connect to your site, i don't think i have java.

does everyone realize that amazon.com is a proud associate of some right wing site i was pointed to from this list?

and finally-

MAGGIE COLEMAN-YOU GO GIRL!!!

thanks for the great read-paula